5th grade math can be very challenging for students AND parents. Because of this, I try to make sure students thoroughly understand the lesson before having them complete the homework. Math lessons are taught in the following method:
- Whole class instruction where we complete the process together many times.
- Sometimes students get additional practice in small groups.
- Students complete an Independent Practice paper on their own but may ask another student or me for help, if needed.
- I check the Independent Practice to make sure each student can successfully perform the concepts taught that day.
- If you see my "AB" initials in the corner of the paper, your child's practice was checked and one-on-one remediation provided, if needed. It's my way of showing you that they should be ready to do the work. It is also my way of making sure students are practicing before jumping into the homework. They need my "seal of approval" to do the homework.
- Occasionally, students who have aced the practice will help check other students work. If any student misses some on the practice, they are sent to me.